Thursday, December 14, 2006

Wren Cross Defense - another lady heard from!

A retired United States Air Force Officer has come flying in to the rescue and to let her voice be heard. Her letter reads:

Dear President Nichol:

I am a graduate of the University of Virginia and an officer in the US Air Force. I am deeply saddened by the removal of the cross from the chapel. I am tired of having to apologize for the fact that the United States was founded on Judeo-Christian principles. In our efforts to stand for everything, we have come to stand for nothing. Please proudly restore the cross to its rightful place in the chapel.

I am reminded of the headstone of President Thomas Jefferson, founder of UVa. On his headstone, he wanted to be remembered for only three achievements in his extraordinary life: Father of the University of Virginia, author of the Declaration of Independence, and author of the Virginia Statutes of Religious Freedom. Sadly, I have no doubts that Mr. Jefferson is weeping in his grave.

Our forays into political correctness have left us impotent, spineless, and without vision. As a member of the armed forces, I have deployed to the Middle East and elsewhere, left my family for extended periods, and have worried daily about my husband, who has deployed for the third time to Iraq. This political correctness, while I am sworn to defend free speech, is ludicrous and must stop.

Please restore the cross to its religious and historic home.

Sincerely,

Robin B. Foskey, Major, USAFR

No comments: