Thursday, January 11, 2007

Nichol's skewed, PC thinking at U of North Carolina

Martha Williams Jenkins (’78)

January 9, 2007

Dear Sir:

When I graduated from the College of William and Mary in 1978, I could not have conceived of anyone, let alone the President of our great and prestigious university, removing the Cross from the Wren Chapel.

I only heard of this controversy yesterday, so I am late to the debate. I see that in December you agreed to allow the Cross to be displayed on Sundays. Regardless of what your religious or philosophical beliefs are, it is totally wrong for you to remove the Cross for 6 days out of 7 (or 5, 4, 3, 2 or even 1).

I live in Chapel Hill, home of your former employer (UNC), so I have experience with your skewed, politically correct thinking that has led you to remove the cross. It is not your beliefs, but the historical traditions of our University that you should be upholding. You may think that you are being culturally sensitive by not recognizing the Christian heritage of William and Mary. In all honesty, your zealousness to follow the tenants of "diversity" and "multiculturalism" is akin to a religious belief, and you have no right to inflict your religion on our great University!

I wholeheartedly applaud the decision of Karen Hall '78 and others who have withdrawn their support from William and Mary. As long as ideas like yours are poisoning our beloved William and Mary, you will not get a penny from me either.

Martha Williams Jenkins
Class of 1978, BA in History

No comments: