Monday, January 01, 2007

Proposal to Restore the Wren Cross [12/15/06]

William & Mary and Wren Chapel Cross

I propose that the cross be restored to Wren Chapel together with a modest historical marker or plaque describing and commemorating:

1) its donation to the college by Bruton Parish Church, a faith community whose life has been intertwined with the history of the College beginning with its first president, and

2) the original donation of the cross in memory of Prof. Millington, an honored member of the faculty for whom Millington Hall was named, who was also connected with Bruton Parish Church. He was buried in the churchyard, and his gravesite can still be found there (I believe).

The plaque would make it clear to all concerned that the purpose of the cross' presence in Wren Chapel is to honor the College's tradition and history, not to show special favor to Christianity over other faiths. Of course, our College's great tradition and history, like our country's, owes not a little to the Christian faith. The College is ill-served by repudiating its roots. This is especially true when so many of the alumni and friends of the College today are themselves Christians.

I make this suggestion in the hope that it leads to a solution that is workable for Pres. Nichol and everyone involved.

Steve Lantz '83

1 comment:

Karen said...

I am sure that something like this will have to take place, given all the stink raised by this invented problem. However, I absolutely hate being the college that has set the precendent for having to apologize for the presence of a cross in a Christian chapel, and no "compromise" is going to make me stop hating that. There is a Christian chapel on the campus because the school was started by Christians, in large part as a divinity school. These people who are protesting have a college because of the Anglican Church. They want all the blessings thus provided, while spitting in the face of the founders. This is a very adolescent attitude. I know, because I have teenagers, and it's the same logic that says "Get out of my life, but first give me some money and drive me to the mall."

There are certain things about which I am not gracious. Whether that's a good or bad thing, I don't know. But it's a fact that probably will not change. As a Catholic, I have no patience or graciousness for affronts to the Eucharits. As a Christian, I have no patience or graciousness for affronts to the cross. We don't owe Nichols and company a compromise. They owe us an apology.

(For obvious reasons, I do not have a future as a diplomat.)