Monday, February 05, 2007

Another Faculty Member Voices Support for the Cross

From my playwriting professor and mentor, Dr. Louis E. Catron, who is one of the most "tolerant" people I've ever known.
Dear Ladies and Gentlemen of the W&M Board of Visitors:

By way of a brief introduction, may I say that I first starting teaching in the Theatre Department at William and Mary in 1966 and continued until I retired in 2002. During that time I won various teaching awards (such as the Commonwealth of Virgnia's Outstanding Faculty award, until that time the only faculty member in the arts to be so honored), was elected to Virginia Alpha Phi Beta Kappa, wrote produced and published plays, and wrote books.

More importantly, I worked with a large number of outstanding students. Some of them are active in the Save the Cross campaign and I deeply respect their opinions now, as I did when I had them in class. I most sincerely hope their petitions to you will be given the serious consideration they deserve. They certainly have earned the right to be given full respect. It would be a grave error to dismiss their concerns: after all, at William and Mary they learned to think, to examine right and wrong, to express their opinions. That they do so now is, I suggest, a powerful act.

I have a number of objections to President Nichol's decision. Certainly it was arbitrary and unilateral: apparently he consulted no one, considered no reactions, was himself insensitive to the sensitivities of students, alumni, townspeople, and the larger world. To me, that single-handed approach is most unfortunate and speaks poorly of presidential judgment.

President Nichol's decision has created a great deal of controversy. The outside world now has major questions about this distinguished university's honor and integrity. Because of his decision, William and Mary has been the butt of comic's jokes, the subject of editorials. It seems to me that any person put into the decision-making role---such as a college president---should be expected to foresee consequences of his acts. Mr. Nichol did not.

It would be one thing if Mr. Nichol had decided, say, to initiate a bold and controversial new educational approach, such as the Great Books Program of several decades ago. That controversy would be welcome. That decision would be a part of a serious examination of William and Mary's educational mission. But his decision about the Cross only distracts from that serious goal.

What will be next? Will the Wren Chapel be remodeled to become a mod Wren Lounge with loud rock music? Will the Yule Log ceremony be sacrificed to political correctness? Will the William and Mary Choir be forbidden to present its annual Winter concert celebrating Christmas? Those are not absurd questions. On the contrary, Mr. Nichol's decision about the Cross makes them fearsomely pertinent.

William and Mary is, for better and, sometimes, worse, an institution of deeply held traditions. For Mr. Nichol to single-handedly destroy one of the sacred traditions is, I am convinced, a major mistake. It is a mistake that you have the power to make right. I hope you will.

Sincerely,

Louis E. Catron, Ph.D.
Professor Emeritus of Theatre

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

I am so pleased to see that two of my favorite and most respected professors at William & Mary, theatre professor Dr. Catron and history professor Johnson have been waded into the debate over the new Wren Cross policy. I am even more pleased that both have been heard in opposition to the unilateral and indefensible action of President Nichol.

Andrew McRoberts '87

Anonymous said...

I am not an Alumnus of W&M, but have always held it in high regard as the place where a number of our Founding Fathers studied and was truly the cradle of our Republic. In December I visited the campus with my 12 year old daughter so she could see what one of the truly great American Educational Institutions looks and feels like. I had hopes that she might choose a school like W&M when the time comes. I have now crossed W&M off the list after seeing that has become just one more bastion political correctness with a seriously misguided sense of what it means to be tolerant.

Karen said...

I hope you will watch to see how this plays itself out and reconsider. One thing you can be sure is that W&M Alum will fight to the death to keep our school what is. Also, this decision was made unilaterally by the (new) president, and we have not yet heard from the Board of Visitors. I chose W&M because I fell in love with it on a 4th grade trip with my parents. It was the 60s and they were very upset about the guys with long hair and people hanging anti-war banners out of their windows. They had the same reaction as you. However, by the time it had come time for me to apply, that was all gone. The president during my years there was Thomas Graves, who was and is one of the truly good, truly classy people. So don't lose hope just yet. Stay tuned.

Anonymous said...

Karen:

I'll be watching. I was raised in Maine near Bowdoin College and now live in Illinois, land of the Big 10. I am very nostalgic for the visually beautiful and intellectually challenging eastern Liberal Arts Colleges. I fear that my nostalgia may be for something that no longer exists.

Karen said...

There are a lot of us crusaders who are going to fight very hard to see that what you fear will not happen. I'm from a very long line of hard-headed Scots. We don't give up,and things don't blow over.