Sunday, February 18, 2007

More Letters and Comments

RELATIVISM AND A FAITH TRADITION

Relativism on the subject of a faith tradition is a slippery slope to destruction and irrelevance. The Christian history of the continent and of William and Mary should be celebrated and not suppressed.

Jim Wiedrick

THE CROSS IN THE CLOSET

I am not an Alumni of William & Mary, nor am I an especially religious person. It just so happens that I have visited the W&M campus and have been in the Wren Chapel and saw that very plain yet elegant cross.

When I heard that the University president had ordered the cross removed, I couldn't fathom the reasoning behind such an action until I read of his ACLU [American Communist Lawyers Union] affiliation. Then the reason was crystal clear. Gene NicholS' ACLU buddies champion every cause that seeks to undermine, marginalize or impune traditional American values, with religion in general, and Christianity in particular, facing their fiercest assaults.

When I saw the video of the Cross being locked in the closet, the power of that symbolism hit me like a hammer. The closet is exactly where Nichol and the ACLU would like to lock Christianity and never let it out. All that that flowery talk about "diversity and "inclusion" is the same kind of delusional intellectual wandering that led the Supreme Court to declare that the Founding Fathers really intended for there to be strict "seperation of Church and State." All evidence to the contrary had previously been misinterpreted.

So now, when Christian students or faculty want to display the symbol of their faith, the Cross, on the altar in an over 200 year old Christian Chapel, they have to ask permission from someone who is contemptous of them, to take the CROSS OUT OF THE CLOSET. IS THERE ANY SUBTLE INTIMIDATION HERE?

Donald Burgess

WITHHOLDING FUNDS FROM THE ACLU AGENDA

President Nichol -

Why have you needlessly inverted a policy that had worked well? The Wren Chapel is not a biology lab; it is not a lecture hall on comparative religions; it is a CHAPEL, and has been since initial construction.

The students and alumni, and hopefully a moderately intelligent Board of Visitors, do not want or need the ACLU running the College of William and Mary. If you wish to take this as a suggestion that you promptly retire, please do so.

I love William and Mary. My wife (Class of '56)and I were married in the Wren Chapel. I have in the last year walked and enjoyed the campus. But I see no further need to support W&M by monetary donations, which I can now only assume will be employed by you for secular, tradition-destroying, non-educational purposes, and therefore of no benefit to the hallowed institution or its students.

Warren Low - Virginia attorney, W&M '54

Warren Low
Class of 1954

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Just so we're clear ... the cross has never been put in a closet. It's called a Sacristy and it is a room where sacred items are stored. At the Wren Building, it happens to be a very small space, but it is still designated as such. I used to work in the Wren Building as a student, and I would take things in/out of the Sacristy periodically, including the cross.