Wednesday, February 07, 2007

There Are Many Categories of "Support"

Why in the world did this even come up ? Why did Nichol create a problem when there wasn't one ? Anybody with a shred of common sense would have left this issue alone. I understand that the cross could already be removed for an event if the person(s) using the Chapel did not want it there. That should be enough for anybody.
Like it or not, William and Mary was founded by a king and queen who were the head of the Christian Church in England at the time. The College has roots in Christianity and there is no changing that fact.

My respect for President Nichol, for the way he handled the "Feathers Fuss" has evaporated. (Like everyone else, I think the NCAA is full of garbage, but I agree that it's not worth the fight, or the funds, to go against it.)He apparently realized that the cross removal could be an issue, or he wouldn't have been so secretive about it. That just made the situation worse.

I'm not one of the well-heeled alumni who can threaten to withhold funds or anything like that. I can, however, voice my support and admiration for the College--or not. This President's action in regard to this issue has me feeling like I'd much rather NOT.

Mike Canny
Class of 1982

No comments: